We’ll its out and about. The Hawkeye Firefly MicroV2 is now out in public hands and I have a few terribly boring raw flights of 1080p @ 60FPS.
The design of the Hawkeye Firefly V2 is different than the original. Larger, wider and heavier, however still half the weight of a GoPro session with somewhat similar quality video.
The V2 comes with a sylicon protective sleave that will protect against moderate impacts to objects.
The mount that accompanies the Hawkeye FireFly Micro Cam 2 is has a larger base and build to accommodate the slightly larger frame of the camera.
To secure the camera to the mount that is attached to the quad are a pare of Velcro straps that you secure around the camera through the mount.
Playlist – Youtube
Below are some flight footage soon after mounting the camera to my Loki X5R. I already admit to not being a great pilot, also consider that the slight weight difference creates a learning curve. The flights are boring and not that complex.
An interesting splash screen when configuring Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam 2 settings. The sense of humor is strong with his product.
Is the Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam 2 worth it? Its very early on in my experience, however for $50 – $60 the quality is approaching the GoPro session and the lesser weight of the HD camera impacts the flight characteristics a lot less. For me, as of now, it is worth it. Why?
- Cost a third of a GoPro Session
- Weighs half of a GoPro Session
- 1080p 60FPS or 2k
- Can use external power supply
- Options to configure a wide variety of settings.
- Comes with mount
- Can use same charger cable as the V1
- HD Footage is not as GoPro as GoPro is at 1080p. More testing needed
- Availability for now is limited. Heli-nation has pre orders and few ebay sellers have listings.
- The LED’s are not bright enough to be noticed in the day through the silicon sleeve.
- The LED indication for 1080 @ 60 and 30 fps vs 720 are not that obvious. Until you configure the camera using the included remote, there is no way to tell for sure if you are in 1080 or 720.